It was time.
French Almond Cake
- 110g unsalted butter, melted
- 120g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 90g ground almonds (almond powder/almond flour/almond meal)
- 40g all purpose flour
- 2/3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon milk (any type)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 tablespoon flaked almonds for sprinkling
- Icing sugar for dusting
Recipe inspiration: here.
Almond Buttercream Icing
- 25g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons milk (any type)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 150g powdered/icing sugar
Makes an 8" cake.
Pre-heat your oven to 180C.
Begin by melting the butter (about 50 seconds in the microwave), then add the milk and eggs. Mix well. Add the vanilla extract and baking powder. Add the almond flour, stir well, then add in the all purpose flour.
Grease your cake tin, and pour in the mixture.
Lick the spoon.
Bake for 15min, then cover the top with foil. Bake for another 20 - 25minutes.
It's done when you insert a fork into the middle and it comes out clean. Let it cool, then either dust with icing sugar or ice with almond buttercream icing!
Optional, but recommended: let giant rowers devour entire cake.