I made a wee mistake with baking this baby and turned up the oven a bit too hot off the start, so it took longer to cook all the way through. I'd suggest getting a good crust by baking at 200C/400F for 10 minutes, then letting it cook through at 180C/350F for another 30-45 minutes. To see if it's done, turn it over and "knock" on the bottom. If it sounds hollow, you're good to go!
Honey Oat Bread
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil (vegetable is preferable, it has the mildest flavor)
- 3 cups bread/strong flour (you could easily use whole wheat or white)
- 1/2 cup jumbo oats (plus extra to sprinkle on top!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons oatbran (optional)
|My outdated oven, yay!|
To get that nice golden-brown crust, I'd suggest rubbing milk or a beaten egg over the top of your bread before you bake it. That also gives you a nice surface to sprinkle oats for some added crunch!
See my other post for tips on bread-making!